Monday, January 01, 2007

Gratin Dauphinois-Potatoes Gratin



One of the many wonderful reasons I love this dish is that it reheats and reheats again, very well. Steak was on the menu the other night and I needed something to accompany this manly meal, something hearty, hot and delicious. This potato dish is one of my favorites as it is so wonderfully rich and very creamy. However, as you can tell from the photo, it makes a rather large portion...... not a problem. The next evening we just scooped up a heaping spoonful and reheated it in the microwave. Still delicious!


POTATOES GRATIN
1 1/2 to 2 pounds of potatoes.
A few pinches of nutmeg
4 tablespoons of butter
2 Cups of heavy cream and 1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup of grated Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
1 crushed garlic,then chopped finely
Shallow baking dish or gratin dish


Heat up your oven to 350 degrees. Slice the potatoes as thin as you can, but not as thin as for chips. Place them in a bowl of ice cold water . This will prevent the potatoes from turning color while you are peeling and also deletes the starch . I threw in a few ice cubes to speed up the process! Drain and spin dry. Wrap the chilled potatoes in a towel until you are ready to use.
Heat the butter ,milk and cream in large pan. Do not let the cream mixture boil. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper and garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the nutmeg.
Pour into a prepared baking dish, spreading the potatoes out evenly. Sprinkle the top with the cheese. Bake until bubbling and the top is a golden brown for 40 minutes.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You truly are psychic, Jann. I was considering making a similar recipe today but just felt a bitt overwhelmed by all the cooking I've been doing.

Now I can enjoy it vicariously. Yum!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all time favorite foods. Yours looks delicious!

wheresmymind said...

Gruyere has to be one of my all time fav's with potatoes!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, my favorite way to eat potaoes...cream and Gruyere.

K and S said...

now that's what I call comfort food!

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

The golden glaze on top is my favorite part of gratin!

Dianka said...

Talk about the ultimate comfort food! Looks amazing!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I think you are right that dishes with potatoes and cheese taste even better the next day!