Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lemon Souffles from Southern Living


Recipe for Lemon Souffles

I love it when a recipe really works! Many times have I tried something new and it was a complete disaster. Not this time. One thing I changed in this recipe was the lemon curd. I had some in my pantry that I picked up from the grocery store and thought this might save me some time, seeing this was a last minute dessert I sprung on hubby. It worked out perfectly! Just remember to save some if you intend to pour a little on top when serving.

2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/8 tsp.salt
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
2 Tbsp. of powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat your greased 5 ramekins with the sugar. Shake out the extra. Place the empty ramekins on a sheet pan of some sort.
Whisk together the flour and salt along with the pre-purchased lemon curd.
Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks are formed. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into curd mixture using a large rubber spatula; fold in the remaining egg whites just until lended. Fold carefully as to not flatten out your egg whites. Pour gently into the ramekins, filling all the way to the top. Run a ridge around the top with thumb,wiping clean the edges.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees for 4 more minutes or until the souffles rise and are set. The center will be a tad shaky. You'll need to serve immediately and sprinkle with the powdered sugar. How easy can this be......and it was so delicious! Thank you, Southern Living. The entire recipe is on page 106 of this months issue.







10 comments:

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

I saw these in my issue of Southern Living and thought about all the frozen Meyer Lemon juice I have and knew I would have to try them. Actually, I find your photo better than the one in the mag!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Looks like we are both enamoured with lemon curd these days. This does sound like a tried and true recipe.

Cuisine de Provence said...

I can almost smell them - divine!

Rosita Vargas said...

Lovely presentation and mouth watering soufle cake...

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

That is a perfect souffle! I love lemon desserts and can't wait to try these.

Katie Zeller said...

Lemon Souffle - I love it... haven't made one in years. I'm inspired

swapapartment said...

It looks so tasty!!!!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Yes, I need more lemon in my life!

Unknown said...

That is perfection, Jann!

I need more lemon, too, Tanna.

Anonymous said...

how much lemon curd did you use? no mention in recept.