Thursday, January 17, 2013

Poached Chicken Breasts~from Chef Wells

This is Patricia's Wells infallible recipe for poached chicken breasts. Each time I have prepared it, it comes out perfectly! Having most of the required fresh herbs in my little garden area was a real bonanza for me. The success of this recipe really comes from having the fresh ingredients. The stock was as fragrant as Chef Wells predicted. I love it when a recipe comes together and really works!Try this method when you prepare your next chicken salad.




A groupings of all the herbs
These are the magical herbs that burst into flavors beyond words when simmered together in a chicken broth or stock.


Ready for the chicken broth or stock.



Chef Wells latest cookbook, Salad as a Meal , were given to each of us who attended her lecture last year while she was in Seattle. We were served lunch at the famous and incredibly delicious Walrus and the Carpenter where chef Wells was the guest speaker...... several of her recipes were  prepared and served!


Recipe for the poached chicken which can be used in any salad where you are using cooked chicken:


1 quart of chicken stock
1 large onion, quartered and leave the skins on
Fresh tarragon leaves, fresh thyme sprigs
1 celery rib or several of the celery leaves, chopped. I just threw them in whole.
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
6 whole black peppercorns
4 moist garlic cloves, peeled and halved
6 parsley sprigs
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts-I used 3

In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the chicken breasts. Cover, bring to simmer.
Remove lid from pan and simmer for five minutes.  Add the chicken and make certain it is completely covered by the liquid. Cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, keeping it covered and let the chicken cool in the liquid for 1 hour.The chicken breast can be used right away or refrigerated for another tme. You can save the stock to use in chicken soup or chef Wells suggests to reduce it for a sauce.



4 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would have loved to meet Patricia Wells in person. Her cooking school is on my bucket list for future travels. As for the chicken, it sounds very tasty with the stock.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

What a lovely dish. I have never poached a chicken. I need to branch out more. Thanks for sharing a great
recipe.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

The photo with the herbs just made my mouth water. I can smell that fragrance from here. I have never poached a chicken, but will give it a try with your recipe. Many thanks!

Bises,
Genie

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

I have done this many times. It's a great way not to heat up the kitchen in the summer months.