Friday, August 19, 2011

For Julie~Roasted Beets with Feta

This is what you can do with the beets from your garden like my friend, Julie!

And, most likely, you will be growing green onions!

If you are not growing beets, I think canned  beets will do as well in this recipe.

A wonderful and delicious summer treat!


I have heard many of my friends from Seattle say, "this has just been the coldest summer ever".....believe it!
I was invited to several  showers and weddings(outside celebrations) during past two months. No one really was good at predicting how the weather would shake out especially with the cooler temperatures that Seattle has been experiencing all summer. Many friends were so disappointed about the condition of their flower and vegetable gardens~veggies were so stunted! Flowers were not blooming! How can there be weddings outside in this freezing weather?(well not really freezing, but you get the point)Weddings went off without a hitch! Flowers and veggies, not so good! Things are finally warming, growing and shaping up.
 One particular friend has a gorgeous garden this summer, but everything is "so not growing."It has just been too cold at nights and really not much above 70 degrees during the daylight. Last Sunday, Julie and I picked beets, little beets, from her garden. We managed to find four and threw them in the gathering basket. Julie wrapped them in foil, baked them to perfection and the rest is history!
 There is nothing more pleasing than to have grown your own vegetables and then serve  to your family. I can't tell you when I have had a better tasting beet!
Julie, when the other beets are ready, here is a quick recipe for you!

ROASTED BEETS WITH FETA

Peel 4 medium beets and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Add one teaspoon of salt. Pepper to your liking.
Spread the beets on a baking sheet and roast  until tender at 450 degrees, about 35 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and toss in 4 chopped scallions.
Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, fresh if you have it.
Top with crumbled feta cheese. Serve chilled.

Another way to cook the beets is to bake then in foil, remove the skin, slice and just toss (roast) in the oven for ten minutes more with the oil, salt and pepper. Cool and add onions.

Serves 4

10 comments:

Simona said...

Unfortunately, I don't grow red beets, but get them at the farmers' market. They are so good roasted and made into a salad! Glad to read the weddings went well.

Penny said...

Sorry your Summer has been so cold. The beets look absolutely beautiful. I love roasting vegetables.

Merisi said...

I have such trouble making anything with roasted beets: I love eating them just the way the come out of the oven!

I wished I could send you a few degrees of heat, I would have about 20 to spare.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your photos are stunning. My husband would love this. I'm making a note. Thanks Jann.

Wish I could send some heat in exchange for one of your cool breezes. But that will soon change here in the mountains.
Sam

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Hi Jann - We all complain when the weather is cool, and then complain when it heats up. I'm a true Oregonian and like 70 degree days. I bought some beets at the market last Saturday that have been waiting for this recipe. Your photos are beautiful.

Anazar said...

Beetroot is a great veg, one of my favourite!! Adding feta to it is the best thing could happen to beet. A perfect salad!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

It's been a strange, strange summer. While the PNW was cool we were suffering record heat. While my tomatoes loved it, I hated it.

One thing I do love is beets from the farmers' market and would love to try this salad!

Anonymous said...

This is a great recipe. My hubby is not a fan of this root veggie but ate them up prepared this way!

Anonymous said...

I made it, let it get cold, put it on top of a spinach
salad. Yummy!!

Waffle Recipes said...

Lovely post, thanks for posting.