Thursday, February 09, 2017

Irish Brown Soda Bread


On a recent trip to Ireland, each morning I anticipated and waited patiently for a slice of this bread. I could not get it toasted fast enough and then just slathered the heck out of it with some of that delicious Irish butter. This is a super interpretation of the classic bread recipe found from Cooking Light.


Whole wheat flour, wheat germ and steel-cut oats makes this a really healthy "all-you-need-quick breakfast." You will get about 12 servings with this recipe. I didn't slice too thin....



Ingredients
(Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees.)

2 1/2 cups King Author whole-wheat organic flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1 T. wheat germ
2 T. brown sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 cups of whole buttermilk or if you prefer, low fat buttermilk
1 large egg, slightly beaten.

Combine flours and dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and egg. Mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for around 1 hour. Cool on wire rack.
The easiest and most tasty bread I have made in ages. I feel no guilt when I slice my second piece, especially when it is still warm.   (160 Calories per slice.)









1 comment:

Unknown said...

As usual, beautiful photos.

I'm going to make my version and post it for you, closer to March.