Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Finding the right pumpkin

Of all places to run into pumpkins and gourds! Those who know me well have put up with my fettish for these veggies for years and now I find more recipes.On a market tour, I found one "white" pumpkin......it's soup time! I think what attracted me most to this soup was the curry powder that was added. The pumpkin can be cooked several ways. I prefer just to cut it up,smother it with olive oil and bake it until it is tender.I do not even cover it, just cook until tender,350 degrees.


Remove the skin. Some people simmer the pumpkin in a bit of water until tender,however, there is an incredible difference in the taste and texture.Pumpkin soups and sweet potato soups are very popular in South Africa. I am going to give the two recipes that were given to me by a few of the chefs I became aquainted with while roaming through the bush. They are very simple and you can add or subtract ingredients according to your taste and serving size.


2 cups of corn(fresh,cooked and processed until smooth)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 clove of chopped garlic,very,very fine.
3 c. of stock,veggie or chicekn
3 1/2 cups of cooked pumpkin, mash very well after cooked
1 cup of heavy cream-get the thickness you desire
1 t. curry
Combine the corn puree,seasonings and stock and boil briefly. Add pumpkin and cook on a medium heat for 10 -12 minutes. Add the cream,continue to stir for a few more minutes. Remove and serve immediately. A wonderful fall or winter soup!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That recipes sounds delicious (I'm a big soup fan). I do look forward to trying it with some locally grown pumpkin.

While beating around the bush (I know, bad, bad, bad), did you come across a recipe for a peanut soup? I've had something called a Senagalese peanut soup that tasted as if it had carrots and/or some sort of pumpking or other squash in it but coiuldn't get the recipe. It didn't have the usual "add peanut butter" type flavor.