Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Butternut Squash with Barley

This is a new twist on pearled barley-instead of risotto-for a healthier dish.

Roasted butternut squash adds a great flavor along with the cheese. I use the squash all year long since it is always available,


This recipe has been tested by Country living~ and me!
Ingredients;

3 T. of olive oil
2 1/2 cups of chopped butternut squash
5 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 small head of garlic, finely chopped
1 t. of fresh thyme-plus a little more for the garnish
1t. of fresh lemon zest-I used dried
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of chopped onion
3/4 cup of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 1/2 cups of pearled barley


Heat the oven to 400 degrees. You will need to toss the squash with 1 to 2 T. of the oil. I put everything into a large ziplock and shake it-with the salt and pepper, too. Spread the squash on a lined baking tray with parchment paper and roast until tender. About 20-25 minutes.Give it a stir once in a while...

In a large saucepan, add the remaining olive oil and saute the onion until softened. Add the garlic.  Add the broth, simmer and reduce heat. Add the barley and cook, stirring for two minutes. Add the thyme and lemon zest. Simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender and al dente, about  thirty minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Gently fold in the squash and garnish with the extra thyme. Add salt to your liking.










6 comments:

Claudia said...

I've been playing more and more with barley and barley risotto. This is a grand combination.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

How strange I have butternut squash, lemons, barley in the kitchen ... could it be because those are favorites in this house?
This looks really beautiful to me.

Katie Zeller said...

Perfect! I have one butternut left and have been looking for something new.... I have the barley - and love barley.

Simona Carini said...

I made risotto with butternut squash a long time ago: I like the idea of using barley instead and I am wondering how I could adapt it to using whole-grain barley (which I get as part of my grain CSA share). I must put on my thinking hat ;)

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I have several good barley recipes but nothing like this risotto. Love that you combined it with one of my favorite veggies. I'm always looking for new meatless meals. Thanks, Jann.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

This looks delicious, Jann! Butternut squash is a favorite of mine and the barley addition is wonderful.