Sunday, September 03, 2006

Market Day Bolzano Way

If you are anything like me, I bet you could spend an entire day at the food markets in any country. This is one of the first items on my agenda to cross off....to find out what days and what time the markets are opened! (My husband finds a cafe and pulls out his reading material at this point.)
Food markets absolutely entice my senses! There are such varieties of smells, aromas and colors as well as noise from all the people and traffic in the backround. This is an atmosphere where all my senses seem to catch on fire and I am totally out of control. I love strolling through the stalls and talking to the vendors. I try to talk, difficult when you do not speak the language . I am tempted by every seasonal offering and long to taste and sample the goods being offered. There is a saying my dear French friends have taught me when this mood takes over: Joie de Vivre..total bliss...yes indeed!
The picture that you are looking at was taken in Bolzano, Italy. It was just a smaller stall, close to my hotel. Apart from the alimentari (general stores) there were a number of specialized food shops very close by. If you had your list with you, more than likely you need not forget anything....it's all there on the street.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup, I could spend a whole day at an outdoor market! The one that impressed me the most was the Saturday market at Place Maubert in Paris. It smelled so good. For that reason, we carry string bags when we travel. (My husband loops his around his belt and keeps a water bottle in it.) So we are always ready for a market!

Now if I just had a few more arms to carry more . . .

Anonymous said...

Visiting open air markets are a wonderful way to spend a day.I am happy there are others who enjoy doing this.

Christine said...

This reminds me of the market that was open on Tuesdays and Saturdays on Richard Lenoir in Paris. Just a block from our apartment, I always got way too much but at least had a short way to carry it!